Sunday, November 28, 2010

back to reality...

I returned home last night to a very chilly house.  Abigail exclaimed that she was glad to be home, which gives me the impression that she is truly settling in.  Anyway for those of you that are looking for a meaningful post, you might as well leave this page now.  This one is all about the gossip!  It's been a while but I have some juicy tidbits to share...

So in a past post where I was completely feeling sorry for myself (I am allowed from time to time) I mentioned in a side bar that I was seeing someone.  Well let's confirm the rumors, because yes, I am.  I am not going to reveal his name but we can call him...  "Mr. Big"  Yeah, yeah, I know, I stole it from Sex in the City, but he is my Mr. Big.  Ok, so here is the skinny on him:  He is 9 years my senior which would make him 41, of Irish decent from Philly and an officer in Army.  He has his own place off-post and a car that is paid for, so that would tend to lend one to thinking that he might just have some sense of independence.  He makes good money so I don't have to support him.  There are no crazy ex's which is always a plus.  Oh, and he looks hot in his BDU's...  :)  So those are a few (and as much as I would like to blah, blah, blah about him, it is quite possible that this post would go on forever) of the technicalities, let's talk more about the emotional side....

He is probably, no definitely, the first man I have met in a long time (ex-spouse included) that has treated me this good.  He is affectionate, passionate and hard working.  When he looks at me there is true sincerity in his eyes and a concern that I have not felt before.  I feel safe in his arms and would like to never leave them if that was at all possible.  He lets me blab on about nothing and acts as though it is the most important conversation he has ever had.  He holds me when I need to be held and makes me laugh when I need to lighten up.  He is unlike any man I have ever dated before.  He has a sense of maturity and capability with also maintaining childlike tendencies.  My kids have met him and have spent some time around him.  I want them to feel comfortable, but I have to tell that they took to him right away.  Even Abigail who has anxiety issues felt right at home.  I talked with them about me dating someone and everyone seems to be on board.  Victoria said it the best, "we just want you to be happy, mom"  Well kiddo, happy I am. 

He is over today to spend the day with my clan while he finishes up some work on his laptop and I finish up the weekend duties of laundry and cleaning.  He showed up with bags of groceries so that he could cook dinner for us.  Meatballs is what is on the menu...  I don't even care if taste horrible, just the fact that he is attempting to cook is a quality that I am not going to readily abandon.  A man that can cook is well worth his weight in gold. 

It all began with a lunch date and is now quickly turning into a wonderful romance.  I knew it would be different when I left the date and actually wanted to see him again.  Most of the time when I go out with someone I am annoyed and would like nothing more than to never see the guy again.  This time, not so much.  I feel like I am a better person when I am around him.  He reminds me that there is really nothing to complain about and as long he is with me, I actually believe that.  Of course it might also have something to to do with the really good beer he hands me when I start to get a little wound up.  He totally gets me...  he really does.

Now here is the kicker...  I am thinking that I am not alone in my emotions because when he showed up his claddaugh ring went from facing out to facing in.  For those that do not know the tradition of the Irish claddaugh ring, basically he has just signaled that he in now taken and his heart in no longer open for the taking.  I am slightly apprehensive only because I have not been in a serious relationship for so long, not to mention one that made me this happy.  One day at a time, Vanessa, one day at a time.

The only reservations that I have is that he is scheduled to transfer in August.  Right now I am trying to just take it one day at a time (seems to be common theme at the moment) and not think about what I am going to have to deal with then.  I am going to just enjoy the moment and go with the flow.  Whatever is meant to happen will happen.  I am living proof of that and I am thinking that I am just going to put this one right in God's hands along with the rest of my decisions and let him lead me where I am supposed to go.  He has been very good to me so far and to not trust that He will continue to take care of me would be just plain dumb.   

No comments:

Post a Comment